DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 24, 2017
Thank you for your interest in the ASUH Study Abroad Scholarship. This opportunity was created to assist accepted full-time, classified undergraduate students financially in their Study Abroad programs. (Awards may be subject to state and federal applicable taxes. This may also affect your financial aid status and cost of attendance.) Depending on your application, you may be awarded up to $1000.
Note: Past and present ASUH Senators, Executive Officers, Student Court Members and ASUH student employees are not eligible to receive these awards. Students who have received this award are not able to apply again within the same academic school year.
PURPOSE OF THE ASUH STUDY ABROAD SCHOLARSHIP
This scholarship was created to engage globally interested students and ASUH by sharing the impact of the experience of studying abroad. By engaging UH Mānoa study abroad students with ASUH, we hope that this will help ASUH learn how to enhance the student life on this campus and further encourage students to take on great academic opportunities such as Study Abroad.
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien
- Be accepted to a study abroad program
- Current enrollment as a full-time undergraduate degree-seeking University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa student
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0
- Must make the non-refundable required deposit in order for the ASUH Study Abroad scholarship to be awarded on Banner
- Must complete all required fields of the online application.
- Must upload a .docx of the essay that should be no more than 500 words, double spaced, in 12 point font Times New Roman.
- Must submit a copy of their most recently completed semester's official transcript to the ASUH Office; Incoming freshman applicants must submit their official high school transcript. NOTE: UNOFFICIAL COPIES OF TRANSCRIPTS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Transcripts should be requested as early as possible to ensure that they can be submitted on time with your application. Transcripts must be in an official sealed envelope. All transcripts should be mailed to:
Associated Students of the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa
2465 Campus Road
Campus Center Rm 211A
Honolulu, HI 96822
- Must fully complete and submit a current version of the WH-1 form handwritten and signed, uploaded to the online application.
- Must upload a Letter of Recommendation from a non-family member with contact information.
- A copy of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the APPLYING academic year with the Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) must be uploaded via the online application.
- If awarded by this scholarship and that you have confirmed to be attending your study abroad, you become a representative of Hawaii, the University of Hawaii at Manoa and ASUH at your study abroad program. Please address the following in your essay:
- Why you have chosen to study in your choice of country/program
- How you plan to be an exemplary representative at your study abroad school in the following areas:
- Cultural Interaction and Integration
- Community service and Leadership
Letter of Recommendation can be overlooked
UAA has discretion to fund all or part of any applications
An applicant's GPA/transcript is a dependable indicator
- Preference is given to Hawai’i Residents
Spring 2017 AWARDEES
POST-PROGRAM APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
During your study abroad, we ask that you engage yourself with your host campus community and organizations (ie. the student government).
After completing the program and returning to UHM, the scholarship recipient is required to submit and present a post-program report (3-5 pages, double-spaced and a powerpoint) to follow up upon the pre-program scholarship application essay:
The impact of the experience abroad on the student's personal life and professional career.
Academic, social, cultural highlights of the term abroad.
How this scholarship has helped the student enhance their study abroad experience?
- What can ASUH learn from your experience to enhance the academic and non-academic student life and the college environment here at UH Mānoa?
How you have demonstrated yourself as an exemplary representative at your study abroad school in the following areas:
• Cultural Interaction and Integration
• Community service and Leadership
The report must be submitted and presented to the ASUH UAA committee within 30 days of the student’s return to UHM. Presentation to the UAA committee can be fulfilled by a video recording of the presentation. Failure to do so may jeopardize future scholarships or awards.
FOR SUMMER 2017 STUDY ABROAD APPLICANTS
All applications are accepted at the first Friday of the academic Spring 2017 semester until February 24, 2017. All application materials must be submitted by 4:30 pm.
IF YOU DO NOT SUBMIT ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS ON TIME, YOUR APPLICATION WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.NO EXCEPTIONS!
As of Fall 2014, all applications are electronic and all materials must be submitted by the deadline. Applications are processed by ASUH and reviewed by the Undergraduate Academic Affairs (UAA) Committee within two - four weeks of the submission deadline. Essays and Letter of Recommendations are to be reviewed by Faculty members. Students will be notified of the decision via email after UAA has made a set decision.
*Students who have received this award are not able to apply again within the same academic school year*
1.Online Application - application form for the ASUH Scholarship Award
2.Letter of Recommendation - to be filled out by an appropriate reference
3.WH-1 - tax form to be handwritten and submitted in PDF via the online application, US citizens must fill out Sections A and E
4.Scholarship Rubric - scoring formula used to grade your application
5.Resident Verification Form - To confirm that you are a Hawaii resident ,please scroll all the way to the bottom and click "FERPA Forms 1-10c". The requested form can be found on page 8. Please print and sign page 8 "CONSENT TO DISCLOSE EDUCATION RECORDS TO THIRD PARTY” of this application. Submit the form to the online application.
If there are any questions or concerns regarding the ASUH Study Abroad Scholarship, please contact us at email@example.com.